Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A call out of the blue




Went to an audition today for WebMD. A health segment.


I was feeling iffy, thinking of changing my mind. I had transportation costs to think about and my energy wasn't there. But when the time came, I showered, got dressed, and headed out with my almost five bucks for transportation on the train to the audition place.


When I got there, several other auditions from other casting agencies were going on at the same time in the same floor area. There were kids laughing and talking loudly under the age of 8 for one project, and a bunch of older people for some other gig. I seemed to be part of the group that was in the middle age-wise, that signed in on the sign-in sheet, got my photo taken, and filled out the information about me. I also took an online Q&A test to see if I was right for the role, which was a health segment about diagnosing depression.


The woman next to me joked about how she was being mindful to fill out the 'right' answers since we were to show how depressed we were. I found that funny and laughed.


I guess who wants to admit if they are truly depressed or may have symptoms? It's become more sociably acceptable to state you go to a therapist than state you are depressed.


As we waited outside the rehearsal room door, the casting assistant printed out my results and brought it over it me. Turns out I may have symptoms. Ta-da! So at least I made it through that much.


I read it through. It was pretty wordy and five pages. I thought about what I was going to say and wondered what the audition would be like. Would I have to portray a tearful, tissue wringing person about to be on the verge of hysterical collapse or would I have to be real still, almost statue like, answering questions in a monotone?


I also recalled the interrupted sleep patterns, the anxiety, repetitive thoughts, the worry about finances. And this was giving me inspiration in order to present myself as...myself, quietly and intelligently concerned about what I was suspecting about my health.


So I was able to be real in front of the camera as I was being interviewed by a woman who sat behind the camera and I could tell she was feeling that this wasn't a regular acting thing I was relating. She felt it, and closed her eyes, nodding her head when I hit on the points that were in the printout I was given and about how I felt.


I gave an honest audition. Was it good? I hope so.
Judging by the casting assistant's response, I'm not sure. I know she had a job to do and it's not pleasant having to ask people the same old questions and record them over and over again in some non-descript room lit by flourescent bulbs. She wished me well after we finished. I didn't ask when the decision would come down, and said goodbye to her and the other casting assistant and went on my way.
They say the key to good acting (and what separates good from bad) is when you have a ring of truth in your acting. A part of you has to be in each role you play otherwise you will appear false and not believable. It's not enough to physically be in the role, but mentally and emotionally. It has to come together to ring true.