Saturday, May 16, 2009

today was a blur of activity




Went to a favorite restaurant to eat and catch up with a man I consider like a second father. We had a nice time, and the food of course, was delicious. After running some errands including looking for a particular shampoo and conditioner (and not finding it), I made my way home and started getting birthday dinner ready for my aunt. My cousin had told me my aunt made a mention of how she would really like that shrimp scampi I made for her before, so I wanted to make a nice treat. I picked up the rest of my ingredients today and had started up the stove, getting the ingredients one by one into the pan. Just as I was getting the shrimp ready to put in the hot pan along with the fresh garlic flavored olive oil, I heard my aunt making a loud protesting voice and my cousin quickly came into the kitchen and asked if I had started the shrimp and I confirmed I had not but was about to. I was then told that my aunt was already making plans for the shrimp to cook them for herself and that she had readied them to eat for the next day. I turned off the stove on the oil and asked my cousin to watch the other pot that was cooking away the side dish to complement the scampi and quickly gathered the ingredients and went to my room.

The claim later was that my aunt was worried that her son would grab them from her and she didn't want to share, which was fine, because I bought just enough as a generous portion for her as I know how much she loves shrimp. I felt bad. But my cousin explained it was more that her brother would be indulging and he isn't a small person. So my aunt said she would eat it and enjoy it when she was sure her son was not around the house. So she sent my cousin to tell me this so I wouldn't feel so bad. I'm like, OK.

Thoughts of a fellow BGer that died the other day -- the findings...an enlarged heart. I look at the last pictures I have of her, taken this week, two days before her death. I'm just in awe of her and feel genuinely sad. I'm grateful to have known her for the short time I had with her.

After watering my fresh herbal garden, I'm going to get fresh ice for my soda, take some of my new vitamins and enjoy the rest of my day. Watching a Stevie Nicks concert on t.v. Magical, right?