Tuesday, April 7, 2009

worked National Geographic gig today


It was one of those magical days today. I checked my email and a colleague sent me an email alert that was looking for people for a gig today. I did not question it. I sent an email with my contact information and photo. After about an hour, I got confirmation on the gig over the phone. Got dressed, threw extra set of clothes and shoes in a bag, and flew out the door with my ID, bag and Metrocard to catch the train.


I only remembered as I got on the train that I forgot to bring my headshot with me. ULP!


I got there with ten minutes to spare and the lobby quickly gathered with some faces I knew, some I did not. We were greeted by the casting person who brought us all upstairs and we were brought to a nice little modern duplex upstairs, wall to ceiling glass and fancy filigreed gates that swung out to bring in more uninterrupted sun or views of the crowded older buildings that only New York City has.


We were soon filling out W-9's and being sent two by two to the filming area which was several floors down in the same building and then one by one we were given a situation that we had to act out for the therapist who was there to 'help' us work though our problem or situation.


I was delighted to do improv, and they let us go with it. I was the only one (and I asked prior before doing it) that displayed some emotional tinges. The rest were simply asking questions and relaying their story.


Afterwards, we did a closeup of our faces and then we said goodbye to the delighted crew who kept telling us we filmed so well, our segments went well, they seemed very satisfied. We were done in a couple of hours and got paid in cash upfront. Pretty awesome.
Left my information with the casting director as well as sent a thank you email to the agency that placed me. I also thanked a bunch of other people -- we are nothing without our networking and contacts to find that next gig.