Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Happy Tax Day!

Well, this morning found me up early working on my amended tax return. Got a W-2 sent to me late -- after I already filed in February! Then the state and city decided to send back my return informing me they are no longer doing my form for me, despite my signoff on it allowing them to, I would have to do my OWN taxes! WHUH?! How dare they!

So I recalculated and pulled out the booklets and went line by line. A lot of it didn't make sense to me, the whole computation thing, so I did my best, and wrote on the form, "Don't know if this is completely correct but I did my best" and signed it, attached the tardy W-2 and then worked on the amended 1040 I had to do because of the stupid W-2. Mind you, it's only a couple of hundred dollars, but I just didn't want it to come back and bite me in the ass as I tend to have that luck that gets me called out at the weirdest times.

And I hate being embarrassed, so I'd rather just straighten up and fly right and not be used as an 'example by the Man' and just dot those i's and cross those t's and dutifully send off my paperwork as updated or complete as it can be.

After I finished, I made a copy of everything, made sure the original was going into the proper envelope and address, and applied the proper postage stamps. I took a stroll to the post office and made sure it was dropped off in the correct bin.

Feeling accomplished, I went to pick up some lunch and headed home, checking my phone from time to time in case a potential gig dinged me.

The only sort of good news I heard from the government was I might be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, so does this mean I'm going to get cut a break? Dunno. Let's see how it goes.