Friday, April 10, 2009

the temptation to 'crash' a gig

Today presented a situation that pops up rather frequently when you're a background player.

To crash or not to crash a gig you know about? Some people actually show up to gigs they hear about elsewhere, go to the location where it's filming, and hang out in hopes of being picked up to be used and thus get a paycheck. Some have had some success doing this while others were effectively and notoriously flagrant in regularly showing up unannounced and thus banned from ever doing it again.

One BG actor was overheard actually discussing that they were the reason why a certain casting company no longer posted location information on their voicemail and only stated that they had to give their assigned number in order to leave a message or gain further information. The tone in their voice seemed they were actually proud of it. And the smile that fluttered across their face as they relayed their story basically backed that theory up.

I like to avoid pissing off the casting directors who don't seem to remember you unless you either a) perfectly fit the role they're looking for and they're all nice or accomodating to you, or b) you disregarded or disobeyed some rule or instruction they wanted you to follow.

Some would say that is a prudent idea. Some would say I'm being an asskisser, and not breaking out of the rules now and then will leave me in perpetual background mode.

I continue to search for the path to take me to the next level -- somehow, I don't completely buy it. There has to be reason, a time and place for it, a justification, I think.

Today I was told of a gig and I was tempted to show up. Then I thought -- what if this comes and bites me later? I figured better safe than sorry and stayed put. This gig was not meant to be mine but the next one will, and the next one after that.

However, I continue to push for commercial ad work. Several national television and radio ads. That's where the money is. And continue making contacts in the business, staying in touch with people, and continuing to be professional and polite. Some may not view it as the best secret formula to success, but then this plan is not for them but for me and my success.