Thursday, April 23, 2009

go-sees and auditions

Today I had to audition...NERVE wracking! I tossed and turned all night but still managed to get up when I heard the alarm go off. Minor snafu aside, I managed to make it out the door and get to the audition on time. Actually, I was told I was the only one who arrived early or on time, everyone else had been delayed due to 'some train' situation. I wonder if that would work in my favor?

For this audition, I was sent the script ahead of time by the casting director and I went over it. Luckily it wasn't too complicated. I played a mom who was trying to cover up her hand pain from her children and her husband quietly hands her the phone and tells her to 'make the call' to get help for her pain.

It went well. Have no idea if I'll get it but was asked about my availability for next month.

The next one I winged it on the spanish. The line was there but my accent was not. Too New Yawk-y. Plus they wanted an Argentinian accent which I am clueless on.

But I had fun. I did the next role in English, playing a young mom hoping to contact her hubby overseas in Germany if she had better phone service.

Don't know if I got that part -- but what was interesting was the woman who brought me in and out insisted on carrying my jacket and pocketbook, which I am so unused to! The other lady that was there had worked with her before and advised while we were in the waiting area that she is very nice and rare in that she'll even bring you water or ask if you need to use the restroom, she's very helpful and kind.

I was #13 -- lucky 13, I wonder!

I couldn't help but notice on the sign in sheet that a lot of people came in through certain agencies that don't enjoy a good reputation, at least not on professional sites like Backstage. I said nothing. I think I was the only one at the time that didn't come in through an agency.

Today there was an open casting call for an agency I've registered with several months back. I have been to several open calls, and there is a reason they call them 'cattle calls'. It's usually massive, long lines, a lot of waiting time, and very little one on one time with the casting people. I thought about going while going to the second job, but remembered I had more calls to go on and had to squeeze in as many as I could in one day while I still had money on the metrocard.
While running from audition to go-see, I took a picture with my cell phone of some pretty pink almost carnation-like flowers. How I love Spring!