Saturday, June 6, 2009

busy day








Dunkin' Donuts - the breakfast of champions and part of the breakfast we were served -- along with hot (actually hot not cold or lukewarm) breakfast sandwiches also from Dunkin'.





Of course I had to pull the sandwich that was full of poppy seeds -- and thus had to, as discreetly as possible, get stray ones out from between my teeth. Oh boy, was that fun!



Another gig -- this one was described in the email I received as being a six hour job, cash paid.






I arrived early, practically a half hour early, and then noticed the crew were still getting out of their vans and unpacking everything. I finally was allowed upstairs and sat in holding, where no one was familiar. A LOT of people cancelled and the crew, which was pretty big, took a long time inbetween to setup for what was essentially the same scene, possibly two. It had to be taken from many angles and we didn't have enough background, according to the whispers I heard between the PA's.










So we walked, and walked, and pretended to talk on phones, to each other, and us women were dealing wearing our business heels standing around or trying to rest in chairs between takes, wearing our business suits, pretending to conduct business. We repeated the scene as the cameras moved from angle to angle and people were switched around. By 1:00, I had noticed I was starting to get tired.

They had us going back and forth in an office building lobby of white dark veined marble from top to bottom -- that housed Meredith Viera's production company and the International Emmy group upstairs near our holding area (same floor). They even had the Emmy symbol on their door -- pretty cool.





2:00 was rapidly approaching and yet the crew was announcing we had more one scene to shoot. Fantastic. But the linear moves and discussions amongst the crew took time and ate it up. About 2:15, a harried PA or AD announced a 'break for lunch' and that background was to wait until the crew ate. We went upstairs without any other announcement. The crew was already at work eating, and some stragglers were about. The background went to check out the food and started slowly filtering in to get some lunch. No one said anything. I knew what the email said to me. And the money would not be the same amount if I worked the extra hours til god knew when.

They could keep us for another hour (not likely, seeing how long it took for them to discuss and setup shots from before) or we'd be there til 6 or 7 or even 8 o'clock. It just did not make sense financially. I noticed three or four other people discussing to be let go. I had plans for later in the day and staying with no guarantee for extra funds for the effort told me I had to make a decision. It wasn't tough to make. They had us fill out yet another form that was weird -- sort of like a promissory to pay tax on the little funds they gave us. I'm like, you're kidding, right? When they see the hours vs. the pay, it'll be a no brainer -- and they'll probably ask you how'd you get talent to work that long for so cheap?

Interestingly, in the courtyard behind the building, where people who worked there could have their lunch, there were several of these young trees....interesting shape in the leaf!






Back to the 2:00 PM story.
I didn't pick up any lunch and joined the line of those signing out and taking their payment. I changed from my heels to flats and headed out. Called N and filled him in on what had happened, and I only made him laugh. Picked up the latest issue of TimeOut (the 'free' issue) and hopped the trains back home.
Exhausted, I dropped everything off (had a rollie with several changes of clothing! see, I followed the production's instructions to the letter!) and changed into jeans and comfy t-shirt. In danger of falling asleep, I dragged B (who I had found to be in a bad mood because of B's dealings with B's mom) with me to take a walk and get some air and pick up some snacks.

I've been ravenous so I even picked up a Mister Softee vanilla with rainbow sprinkles cone and happily lapped it up as I enjoyed what was left of the day's sunshine. B thanked me afterwards for lifting B out of B's funk. Glad to do so.


Checking online for updates and to submit for possible new gigs. Fighting tiredness -- if I take a 'nap' now, I will be wide awake later and I have to go do my volunteer gig tomorrow in the morning feeling strong and as fresh as a daisy.