Thursday, March 24, 2011

Damages...now on DirectTV

This is going to be interesting. I'm going to be working on Damages and I don't know anyone with DirectTV in order to get a copy of the work. Perhaps I could just search online and hope Hulu or something will carry it. Damn. That is a really good show and it's a shame it's no longer on cable tv. Annoyed, because it's a really good suspenseful, well written show.

I submitted for some work over the weekend but so far no luck. Damn. Was really hoping to get some work in. Already looking and submitting for Monday.

Went to a SAG Foundation free seminar on commercial casting work, they opened it up for some non-union to come in, and that was great. It was slightly informative, and although there was some nudging from pushy union people wanting to bitch about why the work was less for union versus non-union, overall the vibe was talkative, and the four casting people on the stage were given some tough, interesting questions. The moderator, who is from Backstage magazine, actually used two of my questions, which was great. We had to write on white oversized index cards our questions for the moderator to choose to ask the CD's.

Overall, not a waste of my time. Although the article from Backstage, which listed the event, stated it was not a casting session and to not bring headshots, people still brought anyway. I did not bring my headshots, but I did have my business card, the one with my photo on it, so that was do-able, and I quickly crossed off the old number listed and jotted my new phone, just in case, and put the card in each waiting folder, four of them, for the four CD's.

I am glad I came with something portable and that I was prepared somewhat. I'm learning the game. What I came away with from the meeting -- I am glad that I do not assume union is to get me paying jobs, to pursue some classes and just be ready and accessible, try to anticipate as best I can and learn as I go, make contacts, and keep it moving...in other words, hustle, don't rest on your laurels, always look for the next paying gig and keep those acting skills up.

Looking to make money and checking every site I can think of. Went to an audience taping for a game show and got paid after sitting through and clapping and laughing through five shows, all being taped in one day. It was tiring but I got paid at the end of the gig and that is what mattered. I will put in for other gigs, keeping in mind what the head PA told us, wear color and be energetic. OK.

It's going on 3 am and I'm wired. Have to check in about 3 hours to find out what the new call time will be for Damages. Sigh. I think, what's the point of going to sleep? But I must try. Set the alarm for 6 am and cross my fingers for luck. Still have no idea what to wear, either, had to check out a quick online search to see how certain people dress for this scene I'm going to be in.

Just happy to know I'm working.