Thursday, March 10, 2011

New Year's Eve - Garry Marshall movie

Got an email from casting asking about my working for two days next week as background for a, you guessed it, a New Year's Eve scene...in Times Square no less. Not the first time I've been involved with a Times Square film sequence as a BG'er, but I know it's going to be crazy. I've been submitting for stuff like crazy this week, got one audition, and it was in and out in a matter of five minutes. Didn't leave with a sense that I was going to get this gig. Sigh.

I see they're now asking for BG people for this. uh-huh. Meanwhile, my phone's silent. WTH?

Chase is on for more work...and back to the gym.

+++++++++++++++++++++UPDATE+++++++++++++++++++

Got the email to go. Psyched. Got to the gig, which was being held and filmed in Times Square. A LOT of extras. The first day there was some slimey element there, and some plain rude ones. One of the PA's lost it and started yelling when he saw us going to the hot food line and had to make a big show of it.

The second day of the gig went a lot better. The crowd had noticably thinned out and several of the slime element had also disappeared which was good. The other PA's had to admit and said it out loud to us that "this crowd was better than last night's" and they were pleased they were able to get stuff done a lot quicker because of it.

I know that the SAG element was called in for yesterday's filming. One of the BGers I was with sent an email that she had seen that things were set up when she went by the other day. I wrote back saying that sounds about right and about the SAG people would be filming.

Both dates were cold and the first night I suffered, because I hadn't layered properly. The second night, you better believe I layered everything. It was cold but I could handle it. A lot of standing around and repeating the New Year's countdown. Ryan Seacrest was there, so was Mayor Bloomberg and Bon Jovi playing a fictional singer named "Jensen". The Times Square New Year's ball was also utilized and dropped several times for the scene. It was pretty impressive. Both gigs were overnighters so we were out by like 3 or 4 in the morning.

There are more dates coming up. I wonder if I'll get an email. I continue to search for work.