Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Late Quartet

Worked an overnight BG gig as part of an audience attending "the last quartet" -- the scene including Christopher Walken, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Catherine Keener. I'm a bit hyped as I type this because I got to see THE Christopher Walken, doing a walkthru of the scene, and his character's goodbye speech, a part of it, anyway. We filmed at the Met Museum which was awesome and my favorite museum. My night, as far as I was concerned, couldn't get any better. I wore a dark blue cocktail dress, had my hair on stunningly coiffed, and simple jewelry, along with a ring my grandmother gave me with nylons and black simple heeled shoes. It was just very interesting, to see this man act, and to see he looks very much like he does on t.v. and in the movies. So did Phillip and Catherine. But I was there for Mr. Walken. This is an intense actor, who can do this acting in his sleep. Other people make it so complex and operatic and it doesn't need to be, not every time, not in everything. Tonight's Oscar night, and it was, sadly, boring. James Franco didn't win, Social Network didn't win, and elder Hollywood still holds the balls. For now.

Met up with some BG'ers who are still doing this, which is surprising considering how long it's been since I've been out of the game, over a year, and yet here they were. It was a relief to see some familiar faces, and catch up over a bag lunch while SAG ate their catered hot food and drank their hot coffee.

As time went on, I was fighting falling asleep, as I was told Mr. Walken was looking my way, which I found hard to believe. But I think I might have seen him. Dunno. I was in a sea of people so I can't take it entirely seriously.

Was caught in the middle of a religious born again vs. esoteric discussion and got a headache listening to the drama. Never a dull moment in non-union holding.

Back to the Oscars. The ending had the chorus from a public school in Staten Island, sang Over the Rainbow. It was the most diverse moment I had ever seen, and a thought crossed my mind. Would these kids become the people who are the ticket buyers or ticket takers, not the ones who get to make it big in Hollywood.

Yesterday was playing music I hadn't heard in a while, and I still felt a little sad listening to it. But it was a reminder, a call to why I'm back to where I'm at, and why I need to pick myself up and dust myself off and start...all over again. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life, like the song by Muse goes.

In six hours I need to be getting ready or be on the train to head to the next gig. Blue Bloods. We'll see how this goes. Putting in for Gossip Girl. Will fill you in as things come along.