Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1st

Got an email from a fellow BG'er asking how I was and what I was up to. So much had changed. I had passed the three month trial run at the office gig and was full time. I had health insurance. I was getting regular checks...when I was keeping an eye on them.

The biggest issue was dealing with the personalities that were content on rotting there and infecting anyone new with their attitude problems. There was a lot of laziness and lethargy. A lot of don't give a damns and clients are crazy not us, type of thing. I was learning that keeping my mouth shut and letting them run their mouths was enough evidence.

So far the only complaint was I stepped away from my desk one too many times in order to help people out. This could be getting some water for a client, checking on whether something was done for another employee or client, anything job related, it didn't matter.

Yet, I wasn't hitting the pavement as much as I used to, since my hours were now dedicated to sitting in an office dealing with people. Although I still submitted, and had the new PDA to thank for that, I wasn't really holding my breath on getting responses. The few responses I got were repeat offenders that I dealt with last year who never answered or seemed shady last year.

So instead of panicking or hyperventilating as to how'm I paying the rent this month, I merely keep it moving, and next month, start the work on joining union.

Today I got what I think is the rest of my W-2's, and in another week or so, I am going to do my taxes and get it over with.

Back to the BGer. I filled them in briefly on what I've been doing. The voiceover site I had a complimentary membership at didn't really prove to me that they had an abundance of voiceover work, and I had a long way to go in regards to submitting for anything at this point. The site could not justify paying $200 a year. I just couldn't see it. I had it for two months, and I submitted to about ten jobs. I was selective too, just as the bullshit it claimed to say, that the more you submit, the less success and job leads one would get.

So...followed the rules, and got only one feedback, that my voice wasn't right for their particular project. Otherwise, the pricings were way low and not very promising. I have to go union. This is ridiculous.