Monday, February 15, 2010

audience member gig



We ended up staying an extra hour or so as part of an audience gig. I never heard so much complaining in my life, with the word "slave" being used in reference to wages. The amount had been mentioned prior, so it was no surprise to anyone, along with the hours. We all knew this was not a simple two or four hour gig. We all agreed to go to this, and applied accordingly. Of course the agency did not identify themselves, which is just as well. Their reputation wasn't great, and so what if it got soiled a bit more?

I had the same attitude I had when I didn't have a day job to supplement. I was just happy to see some old on-set friends, and enjoy spending time catching up. It was great.

We were there for an infomercial for a financial planning seminar. It was not too boring, but some of the extras were obviously bored and wanted to show the 'stars' they were that only they knew they were. "There are no small roles only small actors" crowed one of the more obnoxious ones, and another sitting next to them was just as annoying with their "I know everything" b.s.

They tried to get the talent's attention by saying they did this, and pretending to be ooh and ahh over what the talent there had done. Their tone was very condescending and transparent, but the talent chose to rise above it and keep it moving.