Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Free offerings....not really free

Today I was reminded of the quirks of humanity. 

A person, who shall remain nameless, decided to announce that they were doing test shots, taking the ol' camera out of the mothballs so to speak, and if anyone wanted to get a free shoot in, to let them know.  And of course the person gets requests, within minutes even I put in a request, and was told that they were busy working, but could try next week.

Flash forward the next week, and wouldn't you know, the same person is announcing how yet another photoshoot went so well, and that if anyone is interested, to get in on it while it's still free.  I reply within minutes again, and even private message, which the PM got no response, so I clicked on that public announcement brag post and said "hey".

So ....the passive aggressive play of not answering me but answering other people reminded me that perhaps this person was not really interested in photographing me, especially when I recall a prior encounter I had with this person, who had sent me a "friend" request when I didn't even know, but I had seen in the same groups I had posted in, so I figured why not, probably harmless.

Turns out, several months later, we meet on set for a production, and the person paid me no mind, despite the fact that I introduced myself and the person acted like they couldn't place me.  I then went on to say, "that's odd, considering you had sent me a friend request and I don't know you except for posting on work sites like I do," and then they just kind of looked like a deer caught in headlight and said some lame line about how they didn't recognize me from my photos.  Huh?  The pictures look like me, no one else has said I don't look like me, so it was total passive aggressive b.s.  I asked for clarification, "really, what do you mean?"  And got nothing.  Just a shrug.  I shrug back, and just shook my head.  The person in question is not exactly competing in the hot/attractive department, not by a longshot, but I found it interesting that the person only seemed to want to talk to the skinny 19 year olds with long blond hair walking around.  Nice.  After that realization, and seeing that the person was blowing me off saying their "phone was dying" and couldn't send me location info but just a time to meet, and in the morning to boot, so I'm supposed to stand around and wait for when they can supposedly go home and connect via email.  I send my email addy and stick around for an hour then sign off.  Ten minutes later, I log on and see a tentative "are you still on?" and decided not to reply.  It was going on midnight and they wanted to meet at 11 am at some place undetermined. 

Now, I know that the offer was free and they could do what they please, but the vibe I got, and remembering our prior short icky encounter, is that this person was absolutely not interested in me taking the offer, but was offering it to specific cuties they wanted to get to know better.  Then don't waste people's time and give half ass answers, passive aggro ass.  I decided I do not need to shove myself down some nobody's throat, and quite frankly, I need to back off when someone doesn't respond with at least some level of enthusiasm.  I had remembered too late the lack of warmth and kindness from this person, but I will make a note of it, and will be only too happy to not deal with this person ever again.

At the end of the day, at least I managed to state something very selfish and actor-y of me, that I would be in rehearsals at a certain time, so at least I advertised that I wasn't sitting at the computer staring at my emails into early morning wondering if they were going to contact me.  I get enough abuse dealing with employment agencies that claim to have some dream job right up my alley and never answer me, or send some form letter of thanks but no.

Enough of a rant today.  I am recovering from viral infection and have been having interrupted sleep.  Gonna sleep well tonight, I hope, as I can breathe and not cough so much.  Just needed to vent on the stupidity of some folks.  G'nite.