Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The whole point of doing student films

The whole point of doing student films is to gain experience in front of the camera and to ACT. It is to have lines, build a character, and interact with other characters. It is NOT for me to stand around and color a background. I have been there, done that, and need to expand my experience. Telling me that you will provide "credit, maybe food" does not get noticed by future casting offices. Telling me that you will provide a "reel" when 99 out of 100 times I will never get it and you will lie to me about sending it or simply disappear or not respond, tells me that I really have to back off doing anything that is NOT really going to help me. I am all fine about helping you, but it needs to be a mutual helping here, a meeting of the minds so to speak. Don't lie to me or overinflate who or what you think you are or about your precious project that most likely will never see the light of day beyond a classroom assignment. And also don't try to entice me with words like "will be considered for future projects which MAY have pay" or "we'll remember you or keep you on file for future projects". What are the odds of what is otherwise a complete stranger coming back to me to offer me a more juicier acting role in the future in a film that WILL see the light of day beyond the high school or college campus? Buddy please.

Save us time and simply get to the truth. But if you do, be prepared to not get anyone to do what you want them to do. Especially for free and no pay off of any kind, professional or otherwise for them. Then call your friends and family and give them food and drink for taking time out of their own precious lives to help you make your dream come true. Because in the end, it's not about the talent, but about your own interests, fuck what can be done for us who in reality, are strangers helping YOU out.

I am simply tired of unprofessionals, greedy fucks and liars. May they all rot in hell.